Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My Life Is Coming Together


Tonight I fixed my schedule of classes of the fall and as nerdy as it sounds, I'm so excited for school to start. And no, not just for social reasons. Yes, I want to meet new people and have life experiences, but I also want to learn and expand my mind. I've heard good reviews about my professors and I'm looking forward to getting an education for my future.

This past Friday and Saturday was SPOP (Student Parent Orientation Program) and as cheesy as it sounds, it was a life changing experience. I fell in love with the campus all over again and it just reassured me that I'm going to have the time of my life. My hall was filled with outgoing people that made my stay a constant party. We even had cheers and hand signals! The staffers were genuinely nice and willing to answer any of our questions. They organized a series of activities called "spOlympics" where we all broke into teams to win the prize. Turns out we all won 'street cred.' Haha then a good 10 or so of us stayed up ALL NIGHT talking, laughing, and playing games like 'Asa', fishbowl, watermelon, and 10 fingers. Actually, I lost in watermelon so I had to eat breakfast the next day without my hands... haha

On the last day we did deeper activities like cross the line and the touch game, which resulted in a room filled of tears. We all sat in a huge circle facing outwards and closed our eyes. A staffer read statements like "please touch someone who inspires you" or "please touch someone who doesn't know how beautiful they are" as a rotating group of 5 went around and tapped people. It was crazy how we all became so close in the mere 36 hours. I never thought people would feel such positive things about me, and it was crazy how we all impacted each other so greatly. Now we're all facebook friends of course, and I can't wait to see these people again in the fall!

I'm coming away from this experience with a million inside jokes and faith restored in humankind. The atmosphere is just so different down there. Everyone is nice and open to new things. I didn't feel judged once. There are nice people out there, and I can't wait to meet them all.

1 comment:

Babi said...

hi! nice blog :-)

xoxo

Blog Archive